Wednesday, January 3, 2007

M Analyzes Beavers and Abe Lincoln

I was late to work today. I woke up at 6am as scheduled, felt all snuggly and warm in bed and proceeded to hit the snooze button with abandon. I arrived at work a full four hours later feeling like an asshole.

On my seven block walk to work I recounted in my head the late hour in which I finally fell asleep. After I signed off the computer and I laid awake until 2am pondering the Rozerem commercial. Now I know that I am a little late on this one, but seeing as their web site still features Abe and the Beaver, I feel that it still holds relevance.


Much has been made of this commercial and its out-of-the-box use of these two figures. ( Check out a couple at http://brandstory.typepad.com/writer/advertising/index.html) For a drug commercial, which usually features an uncomfortable looking man or women suffering from whatever ailment the pill cures followed by the long list of horrible side effects, this is revolutionary. Almost all ad people will tell you they hate it because its gimmicky and doesn't give you the benefits of the drug, blah, blah, blah.


What no one has talked about, however, is what this dream means.


Scenario One: A Marxian Analysis

According to several online dream dictionaries as well as the one on the Rozerem web site, if the Beaver is doing work it means industriousness. The Rozeram Beaver, whom for simplicity's sake I will called Fred, is doing nothing. Paired with Abe Lincoln, a symbol for authority and known for his hard work and drive, is in straight juxtaposition. This man is torn. He either wants to be more active at his job or just stop working altogether and coast by. The astronaut in the back means he would like to explore new territory or perhaps, hold a meeting in space.




Scenario Two: A Freudian Analysis

It is a well-known fact that the Beaver is a pseudonym for a women's nether-regions. This man is obviously thinking about sex and in this case will need to be renamed Fredina. Enter Abe Lincoln, whose sexuality has been questioned, and you have a man who is torn between lady lust and a craving for man musk. The astronaut in the back means he would like to explore new territory or perhaps, have sex in space.



Scenario Three: Nostradumian Analysis

The beaver has been historically seen as a symbol for expansion and building. Abe Lincoln once dreamed his own death. Read as a premonition this man will wander onto a construction site because of lack of sleep and meet his demise when a large piece of scaffolding falls on him. The astronaut in the back means he would like to explore the beyond or perhaps, have his cremated remains launched into space.


Speaking of space. I got the most hilarious request today from a journalist who was looking for event planners opinions on "Going to outer space, the newest trend in incentive travel and meetings."

I am not lying about this. I know it sounds fake, but this is cross-my-heart, completely serious. You can go if you have $200,000 http://www.protravelsw.com/virgingalactic.html.


I laughed my ass of at this request, but was the only one in my office who thought it was funny. Am I wrong on this or is space travel always funny? But besides that, is this really a trend? I haven't heard of anyone who has gone to a meeting on the moon and if I was given this excuse when making a phone call I would be offended. "No, Mr. Stevenson is not available. He is currently rounding Uranus."


Who has ever heard of this? I can not imagine floating past nebulous clouds and black holes discussing the third quarter report with any concentration. But maybe this journalist is on to something. Drop me a line if you want me to forward your responses on the following questions she is interested in having answered:

1) Do you feel that the trend of incentive space travel will take off. Why or why not?
2) Do you feel that space will be a popular place to hold meetings. Explain.

1 comment:

Juanita said...

Astronaut? What astronaut? I never noticed an astronaut in that ad. I think the Freudian theory is right on, btw.